Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce




Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce


Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs large shrimps, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground white or black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground coriander
1/3 c coconut cream.

Procedure:
Mix all ingredients together. Pan grill the shrimps until cooked. Serve with Thai Peanut Sauce on the side.

Thai Peanut Sauce
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
2 ozs (approx ¼ c) Thai red curry paste
¾ c peanut butter
½ T salt
¾ c sugar
2 Tbsp of cider of white vinegar
½ c water

Procedure:
Bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes over low heat.

Note:  Keeps in a glass container in the refrigerator for weeks.

MY NOTES:
·         For the shrimp marinade, I only used 1 Tbsp of ground turmeric because I didn’t want it to taste like Indian food. I also just poured in some of the coconut milk from the 250 ml tetra pak I used for the Thai Peanut Sauce.
·         For the Thai Peanut Sauce, I played around with the proportions since all the ingredients are mixed together. I just added and tasted as I went along.  In the end, I used:

250 ml coconut milk in tetra pak
1 Tbsp Panang Red Curry Paste (Pantainorasingh brand)
¼ c peanut butter
½ t salt
¼ c sugar
2 Tbsp Tamarind Paste (only because I always keep a jar of the Thai Heritage brand Tamarind Paste handy)  
½ c water

My husband really, really loves this dish. He said that the taste is so smooth and that it is better than what we would get in a restaurant. We've already had this three days in a row!!! I would have preferred larger shrimps but I can't find any because of the typhoons.

If you love spicy food, use the Pantainorasingh brand of red curry paste. If you have kids, you might want to try the Kanokwan brand which is not spicy at all. I used 2 Tbsp of the Kanokwan Panang curry paste and my husband complained that it still didn't have a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment