Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Borough Restaurant

Since my son had an all-nighter at Fiamma and came home in the wee hours of Saturday morning, we decided to do brunch at Borough as Part 2 of my birthday celebration. Why not? I lived in NYC for nearly 15 years before moving back to the Philippines and so I was curious how this resto would represent the food and vibes of the city that I love. When we entered the restaurant, I was shocked. I didn't expect to see cemented floors and a dimly lit place. One place came to mind, Elaine's restaurant located in the Upper East Side which was frequented by Woody Allen. Elaine's was only two blocks from our apt. and so we would have drinks there before the place became famous. Other than that, maybe Borough tried to replicate the Jazz bars in the Village.

My son ordered the dishes since he frequents this place. He said that they have large servings and so 3 dishes will be good enough for us.
Rothko Caesar Salad @ Php 210. This was just ok. The toast was dipped in egg much like French Toast then topped with shredded cheese and broiled until the cheese melted.
 Grilled Portobello Burger @ Php 330. This was served in a wooden tray with no side sauces. I really liked this dish. It was seasoned well and didn't need any sauces to enhance its flavor.
 Cheese Injected Portobello Pita Pocket @ Php 340. I absolutely loved this dish. The Portobello mushroom and Monterey cheese were breaded together and then deep fried. Zucchini slices were added to the pita with some type of lemon flavored aoili sauce. This was served with very thin slices of potatoes with skin.
Mom's Milk and Cookies @ Php 220. My son's all time favorite. Today we got chocolate chip cookies, gingerbread cookies and cranberry/oatmeal cookies. One dips the cookies in vanilla milk.


 We will definitely come back to try the other dishes especially the pumpkin ravioli. We used our discount coupons from Deal Grocer. What I liked about this restaurant was not only the food but that the noise from the other tables did not carry over. There was another couple seated next to us and the group of girls in the next booth. But we didn't even hear any of their conversations.

Borough Restaurant
The Podium, Ortigas Center

1 comment: