Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Ampalaya con Tinapang Bangus

Ampalaya con Tinapang bangus
Ampalaya (Bitter gourd) with Shrimps


lifestyle.inquirer.net/tag/ampalaya-con-tinapang-bangus -

This recipe appeared together with the above article in the PDI, lifestyle, July 21, 2011.

Ampalaya con Tinapang Bangus 
Ingredients:
2 medium-sized ampalaya (bitter gourd); cut diagonally
2 tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
2 pcs garlic
1 medium onion
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flaked tinapang bangus (smoked milkfish)
2 eggs, scrambled, cooked and cut into ribbons.

Procedure:
Set aside ampalaya slices in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Smash ampalaya to squeeze some of the bitterness out of it.
Heat some oil in a wok and saute chopped garlic and onion. Add ampalaya and saute for a few minutes. Pour milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then add bangus flakes.
Cook for another five minutes then serve with egg ribbons on top.

My Notes:
I only used 1 bitter gourd instead of 2. I sliced the gourd in half lengthwise. I removed the pith, the seeds and the white stuff from the gourd. Then, I sliced it as thinly as possible to look like half moons. I sprinkled coarse salt all over and covered with tap water. After 30 min., I drained the salted water, smashed the ampalaya to squeeze the bitterness out of the gourd and rinsed it in running water. I covered it again with tap water for another 30 min.,drained, and covered with water again for another 30 min. Drain. Set aside.Total soaking time 1 1/2 hrs.

I heated the butter and sauteed 2 garlic cloves and half an onion. I added the bitter gourd and sauteed for a few minutes. I used 1/2 cup of coconut milk instead of whole milk and let it come to a boil. I added the Saranggani bangus flakes. I added the 2 scrambled eggs.

Verdict:
Next time, I'll just use 1 egg instead of 2. The process of covering and draining the gourd in water removed all the bitterness from the gourd leaving only the taste of the coconut milk after it cooked.

My husband and I enjoyed this dish.

PSS
The second time around, I used shrimps instead of smoked fish and it was delicious. I also used one egg instead of two which gave it the right balance. Having two eggs made it more like an omelette.

No comments:

Post a Comment