Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Wings



Brine:
20 chicken wings, wingtips removed and saved for another dish
3 cups lukewarm tap water
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour but not more than 6 hours.

Steam:
Remove chicken from brine and steam for 10 min. Cool for at 2 hours before cooking.

Dredge chicken in:
flour mixture (2 tbsp all purpose flour, 2 tbsp rice flour, 2 tbsp cornstarch)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

Cook in Turbo oven at 200C for 25-30 min. While this is cooking, make your sauce.

Coat in Buffalo sauce:
1/4 cup butter
3 oz Frank's Hot Sauce Original
1 Tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp minced onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Heat butter. Add onion until translucent. Add rest of the ingredients and simmer for 15-20 min.
When chicken is ready, coat in Buffalo sauce. Serve with carrots, celery and Ranch Dressing.

My notes:
There's really no substitute for Frank's Hot Sauce Original. If you want more heat, add more hot sauce 1 oz at a time. I started with 4 oz (1/2 cup) but my son found it too spicy. You can also add 1/2 tsp at a time of cayenne pepper for extra heat.You can also do without the flour coating but my family prefers crispy wings. I always add rice flour to my flour mixture because I like a crispy and not crunchy texture. You can use pure cornstarch for extra crunchy wings, half all purpose flour-half cornstarch for crunchy wings. You can also bake the dish instead of putting it in the turbo oven. I prefer the convenience of the turbo oven where I can see how the chicken cooks so I can adjust my timing.

My family does not care for blue cheese dressing so I serve it with Ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment