Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Momofuku Pork Buns

via http://theboywhobakes.co.uk/2010/02/momofuku-pork-buns/
Momofuku Pork Buns
Ingredients:
3 lbs pork belly
1/4 c salt
1/4 c sugar
Pickled Cucumber
Green Scallions 
Hoisin Sauce
Steamed Buns for Cuapao

Procedure:
  1. Combine salt and sugar and rub all over pork belly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hrs. but not more than 24 hrs.
  2. Roast at 450F for one hr. Lower heat to 250F and continue cooking for 1-1/4 hr.
  3. Let it rest before slicing.
Momofuku Vinegar Relish:
Brine:
1 c water, piping hot
1/2 c rice wine vinegar
6 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt

Procedure:
Slice the cucumbers into circles. Put in a glass jar. Pour the brine to cover. Refrigerate. Ready in 4 days. It will keep for one month in the refrigerator.

How to serve:
Steam the bun. Place roast pork in the bun. Top with 2-3 slices of cucumber. Sprinkle with chopped scallions. Drizzle with Hoisin Sauce.

My notes:
  1. I only used 2 Tbsp each of the sugar and salt and rubbed this all over the pork belly. 
  2. I also used the pork belly with the skin on so that I could just remove this before serving if the meat was too salty. 
  3. I didn't rinse the meat before roasting but just wiped it with paper towels to remove all the leftover salt and sugar which visibly adhered to the meat.
  4. I didn't preheat my oven. I put my meat in the oven. Turned it on to 450F for one hour. Lowered the heat to 250F and cooked it for an hour and a quarter. I basted my meat every 20 min. with the drippings while checking that my meat was not overcooked. It turned out very moist, tender and did not break apart when I sliced it.
  5. I didn't really like the Quick Cucumber Pickle Recipe provided and so I used the other Momofuku Pickle relish recipe instead. I made it on the same day I served my Pork buns and it turned out ok. My family still gobbled it up with the Pork buns. I now use this for my carrots and radish pickles too.If you don't have a mandolin to slice your vegetables, I found a pretty good slicer at Japan Home for 88 pesos.
  6. The steamed buns cool fast and so it is best to take out the buns from the steamer as needed if you don't have one of those wooden containers for dimsum.
  7. Why make buns when it is readily available in my area? I purchased the Pao buns at the Little Store located in Jose Abad Santos St. off Wilson St. in Greenhills. It comes in a pack of 6 pcs at 45 pesos/pack.


No comments:

Post a Comment