Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shrimp, Pomelo and Young Coconut Salad with Coconut and Lime Dressing


Shrimp, Pomelo and Young Coconut Salad with Coconut and Lime Dressing

Ingredients:
Shrimps, 2-4 pcs.
Pomelo, 2-3 segments
Cilantro, 8-10 sprigs
Peanuts, 15 grams
Mesclun salad (Combination of Romaine, Lolo Rossa and other desired greens)
Young Coconut, off shell, whole

Dressing:
Coconut milk, 125 ml
Lime juice (juice of 2 pcs. lime)
Fish sauce, 30ml
Canola oil, 80 ml
Cilantro oil, 10 ml

Method:
To make the dressing: Combine all ingredients except cilantro oil. Adjust seasoning.
Blanch shrimps in shellfish or fish stock. Cool down and slice lengthwise.
Pan-toast or oven-roast the peanuts and grind in food processor.
In a bowl, combine mesclun greens, pomelo segments, cilantro sprigs and leaves, shrimps, and nuts. Drizzle with dressing and adjust taste. Dress whole young coconut. Stuff with the mesclun salad mixture. Put on salad plate and garnish with nuts and cilantro oil.

My notes:
This is how it's served at Phat Wong. 


Instead of serving the young coconut whole, I air dried and toasted it for a smoky flavor. I also shredded my greens just so that it is easier to mix with the rest of the ingredients. I also added a tablespoon of dried shrimps (hibi) which adds to the crunch of the peanuts. I bought my hibi from the fish vendor in Unimart for 15 pesos a pack. This is already cooked and tastes better than the 40 pesos pack from Palawan found in the dried goods section of the Supermarket.

I subbed olive oil for the canola oil. I sliced one large shallot and fried it gently in the olive oil and added this to the salad.

Next time, after I remove the fried shallots from the oil, I'll add chili flakes and garlic for some heat. I'll then add the coconut milk to simmer so that I'll have a fuller flavor for my dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment